Balance is the most important aspect of our life; it is this balance which sustains the world. When this balance is tampered with, problem starts arising. Similarly when the amount of certain hormones in our body increases or decreases, hormonal imbalance happen.
In kids and adolescents, hormonal imbalance is very common, since they are in their growing phase. However, adults suffer from hormonal imbalance equally. Growth, development, moods, character formation etc. of a person depends on his endocrine system. There are nine glands in the endocrine system and each gland produce specific hormones which is important for the growth of a child. There are many reasons why certain hormones go haywire. But it is very important to control this hormonal imbalance or it can affect the overall growth of a kid.
Physical exercise has always proven to be the best way to cure hormonal imbalance. In my opinion nothing can be more beneficial than yoga in curing hormonal imbalance . Here are mentioned three yoga asana which when practised daily can effectively cure hormonal imbalance.
Viprita karni asana
This asana stimulates the thyroid gland and helps in the proper functioning of other endocrine gland. This asana also brings the body in a state of complete relaxation.
- Lie flat on your back. Relax your body and keep your legs straight and stretched out.
- Slowly move your leg up. Move it till it’s at 90 degree angle to the floor.
- Now place both your hands on your waist and use the support of your hands and elbows to lift your body further up.
- Hold your breath while raising your body. Move body up until your trunk is at 45 degree to the floor and legs are vertical.
- In the final position legs would be at 90 degree to the floor and body at 45 degree.
- Your whole body weight will be residing on shoulder. Hands and elbows would support the legs.
- Now breathe normally while you maintain this position.
- Remain in this position as long as you are comfortable.
- Avoid this asana in case of serious eye problem like glaucoma
- Kids with serious back and neck problem should avoid this.
Perform this asana under the guidance of a yoga instructor.
While performing kandhrasana, blood flows through the thyroid glands and stimulates the gland. It also affects other endocrine gland and helps to cure hormonal imbalance.
- Lie flat on the back.
- Bend your knees and bring the heels closer to the hip.
- Hold both your ankles with both hands and make your heels touch your hip.
- Inhale deeply, retain your breath, lift your hip up from the ground and arch your back.
- Your shoulder and back of the head will touch the ground.
- Focus your conscious on your back.
- Be in this position for 10-15 seconds and come back in normal position while exhaling.
- Repeat this step for five times.
Precautions: Avoid this asana if you have any of these problems.
- Neck pain
- Peptic ulcer
By the use of bandhas (hormonal locks) one can easily regulate hormones and stimulate hormonal glands. As defined by B.K.S. Iyengar, Mula bandha is “a posture where the body from the anus to the navel is contracted and lifted up and towards the spine.” Mula bandha is very effective in curing hormonal imbalance.
This technique can not only be used in asana but also in pranayam as well. In Sanskrit the word ‘mula’ means root and ‘bandha’ means lock. So in mula bandha all you do is contract your pelvic muscles.
You can apply mula bandha while performing any asanas.
Follow Mrityunjay Yoga to know more about mula bandha.