Surya Bhedi Pranayama is an important pranayma mentioned in Hatha Yoga Pradipika. The word ‘Surya’ means sun and ‘Bhedna’ means piercing. Surya bhedi pranayma is also called right nostril breathing. In human body right side is situated with surya nadi and left side is associated with Chandra nadi. In Surya bhedi pranayama we pierce the surya nadi, this in the process produces warmth in the body. This pranayama can be very beneficial for people who constantly suffer from cold. It also helps to maintain body’s temperature. If practised daily surya bhedi can prove to be boon for people living in cold region, as it can protect them from various diseases related to cold.
According to yoga sutra, the position of sun is around the navel and that of moon is in the skull. Moon contains cooling impact whereas sun creates the heating impact. If we think of it scientifically, the food we eat is digested in the intestine, which is close to the navel. We know that digestion process is controlled by heat. When we breathe in through right nostril, it channelizes the surya nadi and in the process, generates heat in the body.
- Sit comfortably in sitting yoga position, with spine upright. Relax your shoulders and keep your head and neck aligned with the spine.
- Close your left nostril with your ring finger and little finger.
- Take long deep breath slowly and deeply through the right nostril.
- Now lock your chest with chin, hold the breath for 20 seconds
- After that, shut your right nostril with the thumb of your right hand.
- Now release the breath from left nostril, while keeping your right nostril closed.
- Repeat this process for 10-11 times.
- Don’t attempt this pranayama immediately after taking food.
- People suffering from high blood pressure and hypertension should not practice this pranayama.
- Practice this pranayama in a systematic way.
Surya Bhedi Pranayama has manifold benefits, here are few.
- Surya nadi is associated with heat and hence this pranayam cures ailments related to cold.
- It can cure cough, cold and asthma.
- It helps to maintain body’s temperature.
- Improves digestion and release energy in body.
- Destroys intestinal worm and cures diseases related to digestive system.
- Boost the appetite and cures gas problems